Sunday 22 April 2012

2,000 feathers


This isn't me.

           



I've always had a taste for dressing up. Saying that, I don't remember begging Disney costumes (or more likely Marvel or DC) when I was a child or dressing up in my parents clothes and pretending to be this or that.

It my late teens when dressing up became a booze related affair, I fell in love with it. I liked it because it was fun and silly and because I never minded making a fool of myself (some might say I liked that too much; attention Comes in many forms you know :) )

Before long I realised that one of the things I really loved about fancy
dress was the opportunity to create, to feign artiness. And the beautiful thing about FD is that no one really expects it to look good (especially when you're a student). It is often, by naturescruffy, thrown together and silly.

I love it.






(Left to right: Filthy love heart, evil jester, Ash (Evil Dead: 2), Edward Scissorhands, Optimus Prime, Tygra.)

Recently for some obscure and unknown reason I decided to make wings. It was important to me that while they may not actually fly they could at least move. Expand. Spread.

Four yards of bamboo, one white sheet, two brake cables, three coat hangers, two sheets of card, an old backpack, an old shirt and 2,000 feathers later I had....wings.

(not to mention 3 rolls of electrical tape, two tubes of super glue, a ball of string, various nuts and bolts and gallons of elbow grease.)





The thing I loved most was the challenge, with a lot of thought, some ideas from other people online and a lot of trial and error I managed to make them spread when  you pulled a cable at the back











I should mention straight up that this took me longer
than anything should ever take anyone.

Days.

Days of hunched shoulders and gluing and testing and feathers. Feathers everywhere.






In the end I don't care what anyone else thinks, they are fucking cool.







No comments:

Post a Comment